Sunday, October 25, 2009

Emerging Technology Post 2

Amimoto.

Animoto.com is a source for making simple slide shows and video programs with legal images and songs. The bulk of the editing is done within the program without input from users (on the free version I experiemented with)

My students were demonstrating their basic knowledge of PhotoBooth and editing tools within the program and beginning PhotoShop knowledge while using animoto as a way to share. (examples in blogger)

There are multiple way in which animoto could be used in a classroom. Demonstration of skills, understanding of a concept, sharing emotional imaging, descriptive language, visual vocabulary, etc.
It can also hold short video clips that are easily shared with blogger, myspace, youtube etc.

My class was interested in making a FaceBook page that could be accessible to students; this page would include their work and studies as well as things that would interest students like sport updates etc.
This brings me to the issues: Facebook randomly seems to blog their animotos as including offensive content. (There was none). It will let me (and them) post their animotos to their profile, but will not allow us to post to our "group" page. We are now troubleshooting around that by making a fan page, but IPS blocks from school.

We are going to make a blog page that posts the videos and link to our facebook page and ultimately examine other ways of embedding film. The other instance seems to be that animoto will randomly delete files without warning or reasoning.

My husband, (fourth grade teacher) is going to use animoto with his students in excercises in sensory images and figurative language.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Genevieve,

    Animoto looks like a neat way for your students to compile and share their photoshop works. Did you or your students have difficulty figuring out how to use it? I have never attempted to use video editing software and would like to start with a simpler one.

    Has your husband tried it with his fourth graders yet? If so, how did it work out with the younger kids?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of Animoto...it's awesome! Why do you think it ramdomly deletes files without warning or reasoning? Good luck with getting your group page/fan page posted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Animoto looks pretty cool. I hope you figure out how to post your student's videos online. I wonder why Facebook is having issues with it. I'll have to recommend this software to my Computer Graphics students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Animoto is new to me also. It sounds like a lot of fun and it seems that your students love it. Good for you that they are excited about learning and want to even share it on Facebook! I have stated on other posts that I struggle with Facebook for schools. Thanks for sharing a positive way to use it in education.

    ReplyDelete